adplus-dvertising
Russia's losses - Russia Military News - Statistics and Data

Russia’s losses – Russia Military News

In a week’s time, a month will have passed since 24 February: the day the war between Russia and Ukraine began. While in Russia’s initial plans the invasion in the heart of Ukraine, in Kyiv, was supposed to be quick and swift, the reality has proved more complex. For weeks now, Russian troops have been unable to enter the city of Kyiv and are between 15 and 20 miles away. But what is the army’s starting situation? And what are Russia’s military losses since the beginning of the war?

Ukraine vs Russia: military forces compared

The war between Russia and Ukraine has now been going on for 20 days. But what were the military forces on the ground initially?

Before 24 February, the start of the war, the difference between the two armies was clear to everyone. Let us take one of the ‘classic’ parameters as an example. What is Russia’s military expenditure? And what is Ukraine’s military expenditure?

Russia is the third largest nation in the world in terms of its defence budget in dollars. Russia’s spending is $154 billion. Ukraine, on the other hand, has an expenditure of just under $12 billion, according to the latest estimates. While Russia ranks third globally, Ukraine is 20th. Factoring in the sum of the budget, 92% is Russia’s and only the remaining 8% Ukraine’s.

Expenditure figures in the military are definitely in Russia’s favour. And in terms of military means, how does that compare?

Again, the situation seems much more skewed in Russia’s favour. In terms of fighter aircraft, Russia is the world’s third-largest power. It has 772 of them. Ukraine has 69.

In terms of attack helicopters, the situation is also decidedly different. There are 544 attack helicopters in Russia and 34 in Ukraine. Russia is the second largest power in the world while Ukraine is in 18th place. Even in the other parameters – submarines for example – the figure is 70 to 0 for Russia.

Russia’s losses

If the starting data are not balanced, what is the situation as of 17 March? According to data published in The Kyiv Independent, Russia has suffered heavy losses since the beginning of the war. In terms of military assets, Russia has already lost 444 tanks. 864 vehicles, 1435 armored personnel carriers. 43 anti-aircraft warfare. 201 artillery pieces. And not only that, in terms of aircraft 108 helicopters, 86 planes and 11 UAVs.

Read Russian Exports 1996/2019

Data on refugees from Ukraine

Support “Statistics and Data”

Other interesting data

NATO Country

Nato Countries from 1949 to 2022

With Russia’s attack on Ukraine, many people are wondering what NATO is. The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation is one of the world’s leading international institutions.

Watch »
Ukraine War

Ukraine War

All the events of the war in Ukraine on one page. This page updates all events in the war between Russia and Ukraine since 1

Watch »