When creating a video, it’s important to develop a storyline, gather necessary props, and write the screenplay. It’s also impossible to produce impressive footage without post-processing. For example, YouTubers and TikTokers mount their videos to create impressive effects and a special atmosphere. This allows them to captivate a large audience.
You can find different video editors on the internet. Each solution has particular functionality and can be suitable for beginners or professional creators. Discover free video editing software in this article and find the tool that suits your needs best.
Top free video editing programs for beginners
Wildcard: Depositphotos Video Background Remover
Depositphotos Video Background Remover is an online editing tool developed for creators of all experience levels. The solution runs on AI-based technology, which independently separates backgrounds from foregrounds in your videos. This way, you can significantly simplify the manipulation process. Depositphotos Video Background Remover is available on the web, meaning you can access it from any electronic device. This easy-to-use video editing program can help you prepare footage for further application, e.g., mix different videos and create engaging content. The tool works with MP4, AVI, MOV, MPG, and MPEG files, weighing up to 2 GB with 60 seconds of video duration.
How can you remove the background from a video using the tool?
- Follow https://depositphotos.com/video-background-remover.html to access the video background removal tool.
- Create a free account.
- Upload or drag and drop your file onto the page.
- Wait a few seconds until video processing.
- Evaluate the result and download the backgroundless video onto your device.
DaVinci Resolve is a free video editing software available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. This tool combines basic and professional features, such as mounting, color correction, visual effects, motion graphics, and audio post-production options. Moreover, you can share your workspace with other users to create projects in collaboration. It’s also possible to separate people and objects in your videos using the AI-powered Magic Mask. DaVinci Resolve supports 8-bit videos with up to 60 FPS in Ultra HD resolution. The editor requires powerful hardware, so make sure your computer can handle it.
To make basic manipulations with your videos using DaVinci Resolve, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website, download the DaVinci Resolve file, and install it on your PC.
- Launch the video editor, click the New Project button, name your work, and choose the Create option.
- Click the Cut button to switch to the timeline panel where you can manipulate footage and sounds.
- Drag and drop the audio file onto the timeline button to add new sounds to your video. Position your soundtrack all the way in the timeline.
- Click on the soundtrack and choose the Inspector option to adjust audio levels.
- Click on the video and choose the Dynamic Zoom option to bring your scene closer.
- Go to the Effects Library to add titles.
- Click Timeline → Add Transitions to make smoother switches in your video.
- Go to the Effects Library → OpenFX to apply premade effects.
- Follow the Color panel to improve shades in your video.
- Choose File → Export Project and save the mounted video on your computer. The file is automatically saved in the .drp extension.
- Click the Quick Export button to upload your video directly on popular social media, such as YouTube, Twitter, or Vimeo.
This free program allows beginner creators to edit videos like pros. For example, you can trim and slice your footage; apply ready-to-go animation presets, including 3D effects; and create impressive slow-motion scenes. The editor offers an unlimited number of tracks, meaning you can add as many layers as you need. Thanks to the open-source development model, internet users can modify and improve the application. In the built-in editor’s library, you can find materials to mount impressive footage. For example, backgrounds, sounds, effects, and animated scenes. OpenShot is a cross-platform solution so you can download it for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Here are the basic steps for editing videos in the OpenShot application:
- Open the official video editor’s website in your browser and download the installation file compatible with your operating system.
- Install and launch the app.
- Drop needed files onto the workspace. You can add videos, pictures, and soundtracks.
- Drag content onto the timeline to arrange it.
- Right-click your video and choose Slice to trim it.
- Go to the Transitions tab to create fading effects between two different clips.
- Choose the Properties tab, go to any option you need and click on it to select pre-made visual effects.
- Go to the Title Menu and launch the Title Editor to add text to your video.
- Click the Play button to preview your project.
- Go to the File → Export Video, name your project, choose a folder, and save the file.
Kdenlive is one of the easiest, free programs to edit videos. It has an intuitive interface and advanced options allowing you to create impressive clips in a couple of clicks. You can also add an unlimited number of audio tracks, create 2D titles, apply visual effects and transactions, and download ready-made templates of render profiles from the built-in library. If your hardware isn’t powerful, you can make low-resolution copies of your clips and then render them in high quality. To accelerate your workflow, you can also customize Kdenlive’s interface in any way you like.
How can you manipulate your clips in the video editor?
- Go to the Kdenlive website and download the free installation file. You can also donate any amount to the developers.
- Install the video editor on your PC and get started.
- Click File → New to start your personal project.
- Choose files from your PC’s folder to add content to the editor’s workspace.
- Hover over the Project Bin widget and select the Add Clip Or Folder option.
- Place your cursor on the timeline, right-click, and choose Cut Clip to trim your video.
- Double-click on the timeline and choose Clip Duration to resize your video.
- Press the CTRL key and drag your clip into the timeline to change the speed of the video.
- Drag any soundtrack to the timeline to add audio to your clip.
- Go to the View → Effects to browse visual effects in the built-in library.
- Choose Project → Render, select file format, and save the video on your device.
HitFilm is a free video editing software that offers advanced options to manipulate your clips. To speed up your video mounting workflow, you can use various drag-and-drop transitions and ready-made presets. Moreover, a built-in library of free music and sound effects is available. Thanks to these features, even beginner content creators can make impressive videos that engage audiences. After mounting a video, you can share it on popular social media directly from the editor.
To make basic manipulations with your videos, follow these steps:
- Visit the editor’s official website, click the Download Free button, and fill in the registration form to get HitFilm on your computer.
- Install and open the video editor.
- Create a new project and specify its basic properties.
- Drop needed files onto the timeline tab. You can also impose audio tracks.
- Click and stretch the video on the timeline to adjust its duration.
- Go to the Editor tab and choose the Slice tool to trim your clip.
- Move over to the Effects tab to choose from premade transitions and effects. Drag and drop an appropriate effect onto the timeline to apply it.
- Choose the Text tool, and create a text box in your video to type in.
- Go to View→ Export…, and choose a folder on your PC to render the processed clip.
Easy movie editing tips and tricks
To make your video editing process easier, you should have an action plan. Here are some tips to help you:
- Study how different post-processing techniques affect the perception of your clips. For example, Hollywood filmmakers frequently use the slow-motion effect to deliver more drama in their movies.
- Develop the storyline before mounting your video. Exposition, action, climax, and resolution are basic elements of successful narratives.
- Alternate long and close-up shots. This can help you focus the viewer’s attention. The golden rule is to change the frame series every 5 seconds.
- Overlap music and sound effects into your clips. Music conveys different emotions. For example, classic compositions are calming, while alternative rock delivers more drive. You can experiment with music to create a specific atmosphere.
- Add subtitles to your videos. A lot of netizens watch videos in sound-off mode. By overlaying your speech text, you can transmit general senses in your clip.
- Analyze your content. If you share your clips on social media, don’t forget to study view statistics. For example, you can see the most viewed frames on YouTube. This can help optimize your content.
YouTubers and TikTokers attract huge audiences with their useful, engaging, fun, and educational videos. You can also succeed in the creative field by simply using a computer and video editor, as post-processing is the secret of impressive footage. Many free professional video editing tools with different options are available on the internet, so it’s up to you to choose one that suits you best. To make the right decision, review the software presented in this article.